Taylor Swift: A Comprehensive Album Ranking

Hannah Gorman, Writer

I’m sure most people have heard of Taylor Swift. After 41 Grammy nominations, 11 wins, 9 studio albums, and 1 re-recorded album, she has become one of the most influential, powerful, and popular pop stars in the world. Even though it’s so hard to rank Taylor’s albums, I wanted to rank them and give my opinions. 

9th. Taylor Swift (Debut). Taylor’s debut self-titled album came out on October 24th, 2006. I personally think this was a great debut album, especially Taylor being only 17 when it came out. I like how she wrote about past crushes and loves while in high school. I have to put Debut last because I think she has come a very long way since this album has come out, although country is not my favorite genre, which has influenced my ranking. My top 3 songs from Debut are Our Song, Teardrops on my Guitar, and Picture to Burn. I enjoy her singing and I love her twang most of all- Teardrops on my Guitar has been my long-time favorite. I like just listening to the lyrics and I have so many good memories of this song. Similarly, Picture to Burn is super catchy and I love the lyrics and how it’s an upbeat heartbreak song about her ex, which is different from her slower heartbreak songs. 

8. Fearless. Fearless came out on November 11th, 2008, and Fearless (Taylors Version) came out in 2021. I like Fearless and I think the rerecording has helped me like it even more. It’s the same with Debut. She has grown so much with her voice and talent, that’s why it’s 8/9 on my list. My top 3 songs are Forever and Always, The Way I Loved You, and You Belong With Me. Forever and Always is one of my all-time favorite songs ever. It’s so upbeat and I know every word. The way I loved you is so interesting to listen to because she’s talking about missing her messy relationship while she’s describing how she’s in a perfect relationship. I love You Belong with Me also because it is such a classic and I remember being obsessed with the music video.

7. Red. Red was released on October 22, 2012, and Red (Taylor’s Version) is set to release on November 12th, 2021. I like Red, but I have never found myself getting into it as I have with the others, that’s why it ranks 7/9. My favorite songs from Red are State of Grace, Starlight, and All Too Well. I love “State of Grace” and how upbeat and how amazing the bridge is. When you listen to the lyrics they go together so well it just makes the song better. Starlight, some girls from my dance studio did a routine to this song and I fell in love with it. And finally All Too Well. All Too Well is 5 minutes and honestly sent from Heaven and one of my favorite songs ever. The bridge and Everything Makes it so amazing every time I hear it I practically scream every word.

6. evermore. evermore was released on December 11th, 2020 which was 2 days before Taylor’s 31st birthday. I like evermore because it’s different from her regular pop or country and has a story, just like her “sister” album folklore. My 3 favorite songs on evermore are Champagne Problems, Gold Rush, and Cowboy Like Me. I’ve loved Champagne Problems since the day evermore was released and I found it funny that she and her current boyfriend (Joe Alwyn) wrote such a sad song together. Gold Rush is such a pretty song and is very reminiscent of elegance and class. Especially in the beginning when it goes “gleaming, twinkling”. I love Cowboy Like Me and how angelic her voice sounds when she’s singing it. It’s such a great song.

5. Reputation. Reputation was released on November 10th, 2017. I love love LOVE Reputation so much. It’s such an amazing clapback album and I think it shows how much she’s progressed and how superior she is to everyone who mocked her or did not believe in her. My top 3 songs off Reputation are Dress, King of my Heart, and Getaway Car. I love Dress because it’s so catchy and is always stuck in my head. King of my Heart is also an incredible love song and I’m obsessed with the bridge. Getaway Car is such a cool song and I love how it’s telling us a story about leaving an ex with another man in a getaway car. It’s super catchy and I sing every word.

4. folklore. folklore was released July 24th, 2020. I love folklore so much the songs are so different and pretty. Interestingly enough, folklore was recorded in Taylor’s house over quarantine. The album is unique because it has a storyline throughout the entire album about this love triangle between 3 kids in high school. James, Inez, and Betty. The names come from Hollywood’s own power couple and close friends of Taylor’s, Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’ 3 daughters. My top 3 songs are august, betty, and the 1. I love august because I was born in august and the song is just so amazing I love blasting it in the car. Betty holds a special place in my heart because my dad likes this song and plays it all the time. A fun fact about Betty is Taylor used this song to announce the name of Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’ 3rd daughter which I find cool. And the 1 is so underrated I could go on and on about it forever.

3. 1989. 1989 was released on October 24th, 2014. I love 1989 so much, and whenever I think of pop music, this is what comes to mind. So many of her big hits are off this album like Bad Blood, Blank Space, Shake it Off, Wildest Dreams, and Welcome to New York. My top 3 off this album are Out of the Woods, New Romantics, and Wildest Dreams. Out of the Woods is my go-to song when I don’t know what to listen to. It’s so catchy and easy to learn the words too. New Romantics is actually on the Deluxe Version of 1989 but it’s so good I wish it was just on the regular studio album. Wildest Dreams makes me want to scream and cry every time I hear the song. It’s so good, and I’ve loved it ever since it came out.

2. Lover. Lover was released on August 23, 2019. I love this song because Taylor typically sings about heartbreak and sad experiences, but this one is more symbolic of a rainbow and sunshine. The album itself is extremely happy and cheery and is written for her lover, Joe Alwyn. My 3 favorites on this album are Lover, Afterglow, and Paper Rings. Lover is my alarm to wake up every morning because of how much I love it!. Afterglow’s bridge is one of Taylor’s best bridges in my opinion I scream every word it’s such an amazing song. Paper Rings is by far one of Taylor’s catchiest songs and I love listening to it.

1. Speak Now. Speak Now was released on October 25th, 2010. Words can’t even begin to express the love I have for this Album. I love Speak Now so much because I think it shows how talented she is considering the entire album was written by her. It’s hard to choose just 3 favorite songs, but if I had to, they would be The Story Of Us, Dear John, and Enchanted. I honestly didn’t think I could be in love with a song until I heard the Story of Us. The song is immaculate and it’s on repeat every single day. Dear John is 7 minutes long of pure heaven, and I’ve cried at least 10 times while listening. The song is so amazing I can’t even put it into words, and I admire how honest she is in the song and how she went off on John Mayer about how he treated her. Despite her age, she put out some incredibly powerful lyrics here. Enchanted is truly amazing. The lyrics are so deep but somehow say what they need to say so easily. I love how long the song is and how you can feel what she felt through a 5-minute song.

Run, I repeat run, do not walk, and go listen to Taylor, She’s insanely talented and I cannot wait to see what she is going to do next.