The Winthrop Drama Society’s Return Back To The Theater – The Spongebob Musical

Zoe Long, Editor/Writer

Due to restrictions last year because of the pandemic, the Winthrop High School Drama Society was not able to put on many performances, at least not conventionally. They performed A Christmas Carol, Spoon River Anthology, and Charlotte’s Web, although unfortunately none were able to be done in the theater, on the stage, and with a full audience. The society did a beautiful job with the opportunities they were given last year, and many people were able to enjoy these productions in unconventional conditions. The Drama Society is making their official return  to the stage this fall on November 13th (2pm and 7pm) and 14th (2pm)  with The Spongebob Musical. 

I was able to interview a lead in this production and the stage manager on how they feel about this exciting return: 

I first asked Cori Powell, who is playing Sandy, some questions: 

How do you feel about the return back to the theater? 

C: “I’m really excited to perform on the stage again. Last year we did continue doing productions,  which were experimental and different than usual, but I am definitely very excited to return to a more familiar set up.”

Do you like playing the part of Sandy? What’s your favorite part of it? 

C: “ It is definitely a fun part to play. It has been fun to challenge my skills, but overall it is a really enjoyable role.  My favorite part of playing Sandy is that she is an established character so I get to play off of the things people already know about her. “ 

What is your favorite part of being in the show? 

C: “My favorite part of being in the show is the community.” 

Why should people come see this show? 

C: “People should come see the show because it is really upbeat and is a change of pace from what is going on in the world right now. It is also something that everyone knows so I believe it would be a good familiar experience for anyone coming to see the show.” 

I then asked Jolena Zaccaria, our stage manager, some questions about the production as well:  

J: “I am so happy to have the opportunity to be back in the theater again. I missed being busy everyday after school and seeing all of my friends. Being back in the theater again reminded me of how much I love being a part of the Winthrop High School Drama Society.”

Do you enjoy being the stage manager? What is your favorite part of it? 

J: “I love being stage manager because it has pushed me to step out of my comfort zone and has taught me organizational skills that I will need throughout my daily life. My favorite part of being stage manager is that I get to see the “behind the scenes” of both the technical work and the blocking of each individual scene. I love seeing the show slowly come to life.”

What is your favorite part of participating in this production?

J: “Having the opportunity to participate in a musical based off of one of my favorite childhood shows is really amazing and makes the whole experience even more fun.”

Why should people come see this show?

J: “This show is perfect for all ages because it’s so fun and colorful. Spongebob is a title that most people are familiar with, so mixing it with a musical is so exciting.”

As a person who is also in this production, I second all of this! It is a very upbeat, welcoming show that I think all ages will enjoy watching. Tickets are now on sale online at https://www.winthropdramasociety.com/. Go buy them now and join us in our return back to the theater!