Boys Varsity Soccer Returns After One of the Best Runs in WHS History

September 15, 2022

Mateo+Martinez+defends+the+goal+at+Miller+Field.+

Adrianna Rizzotto

Mateo Martinez defends the goal at Miller Field.

Winthrop High School’s boys varsity soccer team has returned this fall after an impressive season last year going 11-7-2 with the best record in Winthrop High School history and making it to the second round in the playoffs, losing to Rockland 3-2. After losing many key players who proved to be large assets on their team, I interviewed team captains Mateo Martinez and Loert Mana to see their expectations for this year and how they plan to come off this season high from last year.

Here is what Senior Captain Loert Mana had to say about this upcoming season, “The team talks a lot and is always focused during practice, that’s something that we really do well. We have a young team so the players, especially the freshmen, need to work on not being as nervous. I think that there’s a lot of things that can improve on, offense is a big part. We need to get the ball in the net more. I think that this season so far we’ve only had one goal, we need to keep shooting throughout the game. A lot of players stand out, Mateo, Esteban – although he’s hurt, and Giorgio – one of the foreign exchange kids. Coming off last year, I would say that it was one of the best teams in Winthrop High School history. For anyone interested in playing, soccer requires a lot of heart and determination, but if you have both of those things you’ll be fine.”

Junior Captain Mateo Martinez adds, “Just going off of what Loert said, something we can all improve on is passing and working as a team on the field, offense mainly, and scoring goals. We need to keep scoring. Loert definitely stands out, on and off the field. Going to the playoffs last year for the first time in over ten years was crazy. The team was stacked, Juan in midfield, Zane, JD in defense, the team was just amazing all around. This year we’re all very young, the team last year was mostly seniors. It’s a good sport to play, it’s worldwide, and very fun. In tryouts just give it your all, do the best you can, and just play with your heart and passion.”

Try your best to come support our vikings soccer team this Thursday, 9/15, home at 4:00pm at Miller Field vs Saint Marys!

Senior Captain Loert Mana (Adrianna Rizzotto)