Winthrop High School's Premier News Site Since 2019

The Viking Times

• December 22Shannon's Jets ornament is STILL at the back of her Christmas tree...
  • December 8Follow us on Instagram! @whsvikingtimes
  • December 5Interested in joining the Newspaper Club? See Ms. Irvine or Mr. Donnelly for more information!

The Viking Times

The Viking Times

Diving Deep Into the Season of Autumn

Interesting facts for you to know this upcoming fall season
Getty_Images
Photo in Courtesy of Getty Images

The following months of late September, October and November are known for some of their most thrilling activities. Some people honor the chilly season with simple movies or going all out on Halloween decorations, while some countries don’t get to experience the season of fall. But many people around the globe celebrate in different ways. Many go about by celebrating fun holidays like Halloween and American Thanksgiving, but those aren’t the only big holidays. When Autumn comes to mind a good amount of people’s minds immediately think of Thanksgiving Day as the “go-to” holiday, but did you know there are different versions of Thanksgiving? 

Photo in Courtesy of Eater

One of the following includes Chuseok or Hangawi, which is like a Korean Thanksgiving. It occurs on September 29th and sometimes follows through multiple days. Similar to Americans, families and friends gather around the table eating all sorts of foods, but incorporate new cuisines. For example, you may find noodles, songpyeon (which is filled with pastes, sesame seeds, sugar, honey, and more!), different types of meats, and soups. Chuseok is not only about food though; the table is set in a very specific order for their descendents –just like an ancestral offering. 

Photo in Courtesy of PBS SoCal

ust like with Chuseoks’ ancestrals offerings,  Día de Los Muertos (Day of The Dead)  honor the deceased the way they do. Although it is mostly a Mexican tradition other Catholic Countries also do the same. Altars (also known as ofrendas) are placed together that contain candles, flower petals, foods, photos, offerings, and other decorations.

Photo in Courtesy of Lonely Planet

Southern California is a very common area of attraction for this celebration. Groups of people meet together and parade wearing traditional makeup and clothing. Everyone expresses themselves by singing, dancing, and meeting together, holding great respect for their culture. 

Fall is an excellent time to grab a blanket and read a book, but you could also take advantage of the large selection of activities right here in New England. Let’s go further into the festivities. 

1.) Apple Picking

Photo in Courtesy of USA Today

New England has such a wide variety of orchards to choose from. Normally these locations will never fail to serve you a fun time. These orchards provide corn mazes to wind through, pumpkin patches to pick the perfect pumpkin for your home, crisp assortments of apples, hay rides, petting zoos, and authentic locally made goodies. Who doesn’t love a warm apple cider donut on a chilly fall day, or a sweet caramel apple to snack on?

2.)  Salem

Photo in Courtesy of J. Foliage

Salem is a location rich with history, and all sorts of spooks. This town a little up north is infamous for their “Salem Witch Trials,” which many people travel miles to visit and learn about. In addition to this, the town offers much more, such as unique shops, restaurants, haunted houses, shows, and museums.

3.) Screeemfest, Canobie Lake Park

Planted in Salem, New Hampshire is the summer spot Canobie Lake Park, but even in its brightest days in the boiling heat, underlies something spooky that will unleash in the dark nights of October. Lurking around the pathways of the park are monsters jumping out at you at any given moment, haunted houses, theme park rides, though some are scary and some are not. Canobie supplies a handful of shows, restaurants, and games throughout the park. There is never a dull moment.

Photo in Courtesy of Canobie Lake Park

If you are more of a homebody, that is perfectly fine. It never hurts to light a vanilla candle, turn on Hocus Pocus and drink hot chocolate.

Have a cozy and fun fall!

View Comments (1)