America Welcomes the Inaugural Season of the Pro Volleyball Federation

Volleyball is one of the most popular games among women’s sports.  Now, there is a new league for women’s indoor volleyball.  Founded in 2022, the Pro Volleyball Federation (also known as the PVF) kicked off its inaugural game on January 24th at the CHI Health Center in Omaha, Nebraska.  The PVF is in its first season with seven teams across the U.S.; Atlanta Vibe, Columbus Fury, Grand Rapids Rise, Omaha Supernovas, Orlando Valkyries, San Diego Mojo, and Vegas Thrill.

Founded by Stephen Evans and Dave Whinham, the PVF takes pride in what makes this league unique.  For starters, the federation allows players to play in the United States all year round.  Secondly, each player in the PVF makes at least $60,000 a season, not including bonuses.  This is around the same salary as new WNBA players.  If a team in the PVF makes it to the championship, players could be making $100,000!  The PVF stated that their players will have the “admiration they deserve as major league professional athletes.”  Rightfully so.  I feel as if volleyball is an overlooked sport in the U.S., not getting as much exposure as professional basketball, hockey, and football.

For the PVF’s first game, Atlanta won against Omaha, 3-2, playing five full sets (volleyball is played by the best three out of five sets).  History was already made during the first game with a record attendance of 11,624 people, the highest ever attendance for a women’s professional volleyball match.  The previous record holder was for an Olympic qualifier in Nebraska in 2016.  To round out the PVF’s first week, Columbus took on Grand Rapids on January 25th but they were shut out 3-0.  For their third game on the 26th, Atlanta played against Orlando in Florida.  Atlanta, again, came out on top, ending their match 3-2.  Last night’s game ended 3-0 with Atlanta Vibe winning over San Diego’s first game of the season.  The next match will take place tomorrow, Saturday the 3rd at 7:00, San Diego Mojo vs. Omaha Supernova at the Chi Health Center in Nebraska.

Asjia O’Neal recently ended her college volleyball career at the University of Texas with back-to-back NCAA championships.  She will be playing for Team USA’s volleyball team in the summer Olympics in Paris (her dad played basketball for the NBA and in the Olympics).  After being the number one pick in all of the PVF, the middle blocker has signed a contract with Columbus Fury and she will be playing her first game on February 21st at 7:00 PM at Columbus’ first home game of the season.

Here is a link to the PVF’s schedule.  Good luck to all seven teams in the Pro Volleyball Federation!

View Comments (2)