The WHS Drama Society’s Production of The Wizard of Oz!

Jillian Buonopane, Writer

As the school year rolls along, the Winthrop High School Drama Society’s production of the Wizard of Oz is approaching. We are super excited to be putting on such a classic! If you are looking for an energetic, entertaining thing to do on your Saturday evening on November 12th at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm, or Sunday, November 13th at 2:00 pm, definitely come by and check it out! As a member of the cast, I promise you, you will not be disappointed. The musical is moving along so well, and we are getting everything done so efficiently. Director Mrs. Karen Calinda says, “I think the musical is coming along slowly but surely. The principal actors have a lot of responsibility on their shoulders and they are doing a very good job with learning their lines. There is going to be a lot to add in technically in the two weeks before the show. I am excited and looking forward to sharing this show with the community.” I definitely agree! Putting together a production with such little time is harder than you may think. In order for the play to come along well and put together we must put in the time and practice! Cast member Haven Pereira says, “Rehearsals have been going really well! We’re getting a lot done all while having fun at the same time. The next few weeks are grin weeks because we’re adding the finishing touches and technical aspects to the show and spread the word because it’s a classic that people of all ages will love!” Definetitly. As long as we are all determined, we will be able to do anything we put our mind to.

I, myself as a member of the cast, cannot wait to show off all of these talented members! This production will be filled with music, dancing, singing, and ofcourse, acting! If you are interested in joining the High School Drama Society, don’t fret! There are plenty of more productions going on throughout the rest of the school year. I highly suggest joining the google classroom so you can be filled in on the latest news. The code to join is: wxttc7g. I know it may seem a little intimidating to beginners, however with time, practice, and effort, you’ll get there. Director Karen Calinda says, “You have to give your all when you are on stage- even if you only have one line. Enthusiasm and commitment are so important to this process.  Additionally, you have to work on your lines, music and choreography outside of rehearsal. You can and will improve if you put in the time.” Yes!! Over the past few years of being involved in many different drama productions, whether that’s school, Winthrop School of Performing Arts, I’ve learned you cannot hold back. From past productions, I understand it can be overwhelming and nerve racking for new actors, however, as long as you give your 100% effort, it will be fine! Even if you have a couple of lines, you need to sell it. In order to be successful you need to give it your all. I know sometimes it may not seem like it, but it’s better to be overdoing it than not doing enough.

The clock is ticking, which means the show is coming closer and closer every day! Sometimes it may seem as if we have plenty of time, however the dates sneak up on us. This doesn’t stop us though, as long as we are consistently practicing, and working together like a team, we are able to conquer everything. Director Mrs. Karen Calinda says, “Less than a month before a show opens, I always feel a bit nervous thinking, “Will it all come together?” I’ve learned over the years that through the power of collaboration, dedication and plain old hard work – it does. We are not at all where we need to be but we are getting there!” Yes, progress takes time, effort, and dedication, all of which every drama member values. We cannot wait to present such an amazing show. Slowly, but surely, everything is coming along just the way we like it. As long as we are patient with ourselves, and each other, we will be on the right road to success!

An additional note I would like to add, is the very successful bake sale we held on Saturday, October 15th, from 10:00am-2:oopm at the French Square. We appreciate everyone’s support, and to everyone who donated! Don’t forget to stop by the Winthrop Arms on Monday, October 24th, for our 10% night! 10% of proceeds will go directly towards the Winthrop Drama Society starting at 4:00pm, until closing time. Thank you, and please consider stopping by on Saturday, November 12th at 2:00pm, and 7:00pm, or Sunday, November 13th at 7:00pm, for our proud production of Wizard of Oz!