Winthrop High School's Premier News Site Since 2019

The Viking Times

• December 22Shannon's Jets ornament is STILL at the back of her Christmas tree...
  • December 8Follow us on Instagram! @whsvikingtimes
  • December 5Interested in joining the Newspaper Club? See Ms. Irvine or Mr. Donnelly for more information!

The Viking Times

The Viking Times

Polls

Are you taking any AP Exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

WHSDS : Freaky Friday The Musical

The fall season at Winthrop High School is filled with so many different activities and events. One I will be highlighting this week is the Drama Society’s fall musical. This year, the drama society is putting on the musical, Freaky Friday, which will open and hit the stage in a little over a week. The show dates this year are the 8th, 9th, and 10th of November at 7pm. 

To start, I’ll tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Nadia, I am a senior and a member of the crew. I started out as a lighting assistant my freshman year and this is my second year as lighting designer; I now program the lights seen during shows and am responsible for operating the board. I’m looking forward to making new memories and working my last musical as lighting designer in the upcoming production of Freaky Friday.

To get a better understanding of what to expect of this year’s production I caught up with Mrs. Calinda with a few questions about the upcoming performance of Freaky Friday.  

1. How are you preparing for the upcoming production of Freaky Friday?

“Students are in rehearsal 4-5 days a week. We are trying to “pull it all together” at this point.”

1. Why should people come and see the show?

“It is such a fun show! It is very relatable as it is about teenagers and, more specifically, the relationship between a teen and her parent. If people are familiar with the film “Freaky Friday”, then they will really love this musical adaptation. We are so lucky to be able to hire musicians from Berklee College of Music to play our show! Tickets can be purchased online at our website: https://www.winthropdramasociety.com/. However, tickets can always be purchased with cash at the door for all shows!”

1. What is your favorite aspect of this particular show?

“Some of the songs are very poignant and I love how so much of the show centers around a high school and high school students.”

1. What is the most challenging part of this particular production?

“Our cast is pretty small, only 20 students, so many people have to play several roles to cover all of the parts. Additionally, it is hard technically because so many different locations need to be created”.

1. Do you have any advice for those who would like to join the Drama Society?

“We would love some new members! If you are interested in being on stage or behind the scenes, we will find a way to include you. The WHS Drama Society is a very inclusive group. If you join, I think you will see that it is a lot of hard work but so much fun. If anyone is interested in cast or crew, they should come talk to me”.

Thank you to Mrs. Calinda for answering my questions. Hopefully this information convinced you to go out and support the drama society’s production of Freaky Friday, so don’t miss out! Head on down to the Winthrop High School auditorium November 8th, 9th, or 10th for a performance like none other!