Winthrop High School's Premier News Site Since 2019

The Viking Times

• December 22Shannon's Jets ornament is STILL at the back of her Christmas tree...
  • December 8Follow us on Instagram! @whsvikingtimes
  • December 5Interested in joining the Newspaper Club? See Ms. Irvine or Mr. Donnelly for more information!

The Viking Times

The Viking Times

Polls

Are you taking any AP Exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Night of the 81st Golden Globes

Courtesy of: The Hollywood Reporter

The awards season has officially started!  For 81 years, the Golden Globes has kicked off the awards season.  This awards show had highs and lows, read more to find out.  We are in for a long article, so hold on, there is much to cover.

For every glamorous event in Hollywood, there is a red carpet.  Margot Robbie stuck to her ongoing trend of wearing Barbie outfits.  She wore custom Armani, paying homage to the Superstar Barbie of 1977.  Wonka nominee Timothée Chalamet upped his outfit with a sequined Celine Homme suit jacket.  Another male actor who stood out was Pedro Pascal, who was nominated for his role of Joel in The Last of Us.  Wearing Bottega Veneta, Pascal sported a sling on his right arm, complimenting the look with “OUCHY” written across his nails.  When asked about the injury, he simply said, “I fell… be careful, it can happen to anybody.”

I think it’s safe to say that everyone got excited when Jennifer Aniston walked onto the red carpet.

All I can say is, the Rachel is back! I repeat, the Rachel is back!  Aniston surprised spectators when she walked onto the red carpet in her signature style of a black dress (Dolce & Gabbana) and her classic haircut from 30 years ago.  Reese Witherspoon, Aniston’s co-star in The Morning Show, was one of many celebrities who brought their family members as a date.  Witherspoon, wearing Monique Lhuillier, brought her look-a-like son, Deacon Reese Phillippe as her date.  He handled the interviews with his mom like a champ, praising his celebrity mom every step of the w

Jennifer Aniston rocks “the Rachel” in a Dolce & Gabbana gown (Courtesy of: People)

ay.  Bradley Cooper was another celebrity who brought a family member.  He is known for bringing his mom, Gloria Campano, as his plus-one to Hollywood events.  Some would say she upstages her son!

Most of the outfits on the red carpet were amazing, but Emily Blunt’s outfit caught my eye.  The Oppenheimer actress attended the ceremony with her husband, actor and director John Krasinski, wearing Alexander McQueen.  The actress’ half of her dress was embroidered with gold sequins and the bottom included a sheer white fabric.  Blunt’s look was complete with a beautiful hairpin, gold Jimmy Choos, and an ensemble of Tiffany & Co. diamonds.

A major takeaway from the night’s ceremony was Jo Koy’s awkward hosting.  Most of his jokes/roasts of celebrities were okay, but some were classless; Robert De Niro having a child at 80, the length of Oppenheimer, and being attracted to a plastic Barbie doll.  He was met with boos and awkward moments of silence by the audience throughout the night.  The next morning, Jo Koy found himself under fire for some of his comments.  He took partial blame for his jokes, but he was quick to blame his writers too.  Many of the night’s presenters were just as awkward as Jo Koy.  They lacked chemistry and their introductions seemed flat.  Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell were the exception.  They walked onto the stage, calm, cool, and collected.  A few seconds into their collaborated speech, a weird tune started playing over the speakers.  The audience let out a few confused chuckles as Wiig and Ferrell acted confused as well.  The music stopped, as they proceeded like nothing happened.  Then, it happened again, this time with Kristen and Will moving their shoulders.

Then, for the third and final time, the presenters started dancing across the stage, leaving the audience in stitches.  They even got Jennifer Lopez to dance in her seat!

Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell dance to their interruption. (Courtesy of: YouTube)

Despite Jo Koy’s mocking, Oppenheimer won five of its eight nominations, including “Best Motion Picture – Drama”.  This will most likely launch Oppenheimer into a very successful awards season.  Its competitor, Barbie, with nine nominations, only won two.  Succession and Beef dominated their categories.  Succession took home three out of four awards; a perfect way to end an award-winning series.  Beef was nominated for [enter] awards, winning three.

Da’Vine Joy Randolph was the night’s first winner. Winning the award for best supporting actress in any motion picture, Randolph played grieving mother Mary Lamb in The Holdovers.  During her acceptance speech, the actress thanked her “two partners in crime,” Dominic Sessa and Paul Giamatti, calling them “a dream to work with,”  as well as thanking her character Mary for changing her life.  When Robert Downey Jr. won for Best Supporting Actor, he praised his coworkers.  He said that “Christopher Nolan… rendered a goddamn masterpiece.”  He gave a shout-out to his wife, for making him come out is his comfort zone.

Lily Gladstone won “Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama” for Killers of the Flower Moon.  She made history by becoming the first Indigenous person to receive a Golden Globe.  When she accepted her award, Gladstone started her acceptance speech in Blackfeet, the official language of the American Indian Blackfeet Nation.  She talked about how she felt privileged, to speak a little Blackfeet language since she was little.  Gladstone mentioned that early filmmakers would have Native American actors speak in English, and then remix the audio backward to make it sound like an Indigenous language.  She closed out her speech by thanking the Osage Nation.  Paul Giamatti won for his performance as a lead actor in a comedy movie.

Paul Giamatti sitting at a table for a celebratory dinner. Not to the Golden Globe standing there… (Courtesy of: )

He dedicated his award to teachers, as he played one in The Holdovers.  His family have been teachers for “generations.”  “Teachers are good people.  We’ve gotta respect them.”  He continued, “It’s a tough job.  So, this is for teachers.”  How did Giamatti celebrate his win?  Going to In-N-Out Burger after the show.  Don’t mind the Golden Globe on the counter, by the way.

Boston native Ayo Edebiri won for her performance as the leading actress in the TV series The Bear.  She immediately thanked her manager’s assistants for answering her emails.  Steven Yeun is the lead actor in the hit show Beef, starring alongside Ali Wong.  He was very modest in his speech, that his life consisted of “isolation and separateness” up until Beef, jokingly drawing similarities to the plot of Frozen.

Now we have reached the end of the 81st Golden Globes.  This was another ceremony for the history books.  The Critics Choice Awards are this Sunday and the Emmy Awards are on Monday, with the Grammy’s, BAFTA’s, SAG Awards, Oscars, and Tony’s still yet to come.

Below is the complete list of all 27 winners from last Sunday:

• Best Director – Motion Picture: Christopher Nolan; Oppenheimer
  • Best Motion Picture – Animated: The Boy and the Heron
  • Best Motion Picture – Drama: Oppenheimer
  • Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Poor Things
  • Best Motion Picture – Non-English Language: Anatomy of a Fall; France
  • Best Original Score – Motion Picture: Ludwig Göransson; Oppenheimer
  • Best Original Song – Motion Picture: “What Was I Made For?”; Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell
  • Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Ali Wong; Beef
  • Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama: Lily Gladstone; Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Emma Stone; Poor Things
  • Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture: Da’Vine Joy Randolph; The Holdovers
  • Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role on Television: Elizabeth Debicki; The Crown
  • Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Ayo Edebiri; The Bear
  • Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Series – Drama: Sarah Snook; Succession
  • Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Steven Yeun; Beef
  • Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama: Cillian Murphy; Oppenheimer
  • Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Paul Giamatti; The Holdovers
  • Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture: Robert Downey Jr.; Oppenheimer
  • Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role on Television: Matthew Macfadyen; Succession
  • Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Jeremy Allen White; The Bear
  • Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Series – Drama: Kieran Culkin; Succession
  • Best Performance in Stand-Up Comedy on Television: Ricky Gervais: Armageddon
  • Best Screenplay – Motion Picture: Justine Triet and Arthur Harari; Anatomy of a Fall
  • Best Television Limited Series, Anthology Series, or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Beef
  • Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy: The Bear
  • Best Television Series – Drama: Succession
  • Cinematic and Box Office Achievement: Barbie