Winthrop High School's Premier News Site Since 2019

The Viking Times

• December 22Shannon's Jets ornament is STILL at the back of her Christmas tree...
  • December 8Follow us on Instagram! @whsvikingtimes
  • December 5Interested in joining the Newspaper Club? See Ms. Irvine or Mr. Donnelly for more information!

The Viking Times

The Viking Times

Polls

Are you taking any AP Exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Snow Storm Headed Our Way This Weekend

Photo Courtesy of Newsweek.

As the new year begins, it is accompanied by that familiar winter weather; soft flurries of snow blanket the ground outside your window while a cozy sweater and blanket with a cup of hot cocoa and marshmallows call your name. Although the last time a “snow storm” arrived in Winthrop, it snowed only 3.5 inches.

Well, be sure to bring an extra cozy sweater and blanket because winter is coming everyone (for the GOT fans out there) and we’re in for some stormy weather this weekend.

MA snow predictions: Factor for snow in Boston – NBC Boston
Photo Courtesy of NBC Boston.

I asked student and fellow writer Ariana Bruno about her thoughts about the upcoming storm: “I want the snowstorm because Winthrop hasn’t had one in a hot minute” she jokes, emphasizing the “hot” with regards to the warm temperatures we are now seeing in winter. “And,” she adds, “I won’t have to make it up because I’m a senior!”

“While it’s fun having a snowstorm, many families in Winthrop are impacted by it,” she notes, “some kids rely on school for breakfast or lunch…and with school closed some kids can’t necessarily get the meals they usually do.”

With WBZ-TV issuing a NEXT Weather Alert, the storm is expected to make its way towards Boston sometime on Sunday after traveling from “Southern California and the Western US”, NBC News reports; the snow would impact “central Massachusetts and Route 2” while areas like “Leominster, Rutland and Gardener” would see “steady” snow.