Winthrop High School's Premier News Site Since 2019

The Viking Times

• December 22Shannon's Jets ornament is STILL at the back of her Christmas tree...
  • December 8Follow us on Instagram! @whsvikingtimes
  • December 5Interested in joining the Newspaper Club? See Ms. Irvine or Mr. Donnelly for more information!

The Viking Times

The Viking Times

Polls

Are you taking any AP Exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mysterious Footprint On English Beach Leaves Archaeologists Fascinated

Photo in Courtesy of CNN

Dinosaurs are a great mystery of our planet, over hundreds or even thousands of years people have come up with endless amounts of theories. One way to get an accurate understanding of past creatures, or specifically dinosaurs — is by the study of archaelogy.

Archeologists are scientists who search the planet to discover past cultures, how the past impacts us today, or most relevant in this story, fossils. Fossils help determine what once roamed the Earth and how the planet evolved over time. This field of science is so fascinating because by some searching, and analyzing we can wind our clocks back in time and envision what ruled the planet before we did.

Since we do not have a 100% knowledge on dinosaurs, more and more is discovered each day. When there is no confirmation on a subject it leads to many theories — Particularly, how did dinosaurs vanish. A huge theory known by people all over the globe is how a huge asteriod hurtled toward the Earth, resulting in a gigantic impact and wiping out organisms all over.

Millions of years ago, all the continents were squished together creating one big continent called Pangea, this is why the prints can be found all over the world. A specific beach called, “Yaverland, Isle of Wight” This English Beach is rich in fossils and footprints, when scientists want a boost or need a place to start this beach is the place to go.

Photo in Courtesy of Natural History Museum

Dinosaur Isle Mueseum is a mueseum strictly dedicated to the dinosaurs and orgnasims that inhabitated the diverse shore. Dr. Martin Munt begins, “We have located 35 different types, and the area was once also heavy with plants, crocodiles, pterosaurs, amphibians, fish and invertebrates like insects and freshwater mussels.” Munt is a curator at a The Dinosaur Isle Mueseum. He is someone who is always looking to learn about species and have them donated to the institute, he has always had great interest in this “Jurassic Beach”. He adds, “We cannot be totally sure about a print’s identity, but the three-toed feet makes it likely a mantellisaurus was here, not just in other parts of the south coast where they were more common – or that’s what we thought until now.”

The Mantellisaurus is the second most completed skeleton in the UK. This footprint is just another puzzle peice to plug into the unknown of dinosaurs. The great mystery will always linger in the back of scientists minds, no human was able to record information… How did they grow? What was the initial origin? What did the first ones look like? How will we every know if all the information we have recorded is absolutley accurate? Though we have answers to many of these questions nothing will ever be confirmed.